What to Expect from Gastric Bypass Surgery
Most people wonder what they could expect if they had gastric bypass surgery procedure. If you’re already planning for weight loss surgery, you’re probably already dreaming about the results and you’ll want to make sure they’re worth the cost. Read on to find out what you can expect.
There’s not a definite amount of weight you’ll lose, since results vary from person to person. However, your doctor should be able to give you a good estimate of how much weight you can plan on having dropped post-surgery. On average, people lose between 40 and 60% of their extra weight.
The recovery time following gastric bypass surgery is short because the surgery is laparoscopic, meaning that only small cuts are made. However, if the surgery was considered “open,” then the surgeon needed to make larger cuts and the recovery process could be a bit longer.
- Most of the time, patients have to stay in the hospital for the two or three days following gastric bypass surgery before they’re allowed to go home. Compared to other surgeries, that’s a notably short hospital stay!
- Most patients are able to return to normal activities after five weeks. Some patients even report that they can get back to their regular life after just three weeks.
- It’s not uncommon for gastric bypass surgery patients to have constipation following the surgery. Talk to your doctor about how to handle the discomfort and how to maintain your health. You may also want to avoid granular fiber for the time being.
- After eating high-sugar foods, you may feel nauseous or weak. It’s also common to vomit after eating a meal that’s high in sugar. This happens because the sugary food quickly moves through your system and causes you to feel sick.
- Some patients develop gallstones, which is a common side effect of quickly losing a lot of weight. For the most part, gallstones are harmless and you may experience some abdominal pain or nausea.
Regardless of the side effects, the best news is that after weight loss surgery, you can plan on having lost a lot of weight! Everything else will probably pale in comparison to that enormous and positive life change.